South East Car Club UK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Car Club for all the cars of England's South East

3 posters

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped.

Cookie
    Cookie

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Empty Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped.

Post  Cookie Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 pm

So i've bought a 1997 vw golf 1.6 gl mk3 in silver (beacuse it's like a bullet). Got it for £700, was fairly happy with that. But with that there's a couple of things to do. Fist the interior needs a good old scrub because the fella that had it before me must have smoked about 50 a day; all in the car. And the other major issue is the bastard rust on the wheel arches.
    Any way here it starts

As i got it:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Golf1

A good illustration as to why the first thing on my list was springs:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Golf2

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Golf3
    JWF
    JWF
    Admin

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Empty Re: Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped.

Post  JWF Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:25 pm

lol, the intro made me laugh

yeah, it'll look good man. Especially with the arches etc
    Cookie
    Cookie

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Empty Re: Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped.

Post  Cookie Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Cheers Jonnie, and yeah should be alright.

The parts started to pile up. So, thought might as well put some of them on:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Parts1

As said previously the first thing i wanted to do were the springs. Got these Eibachs for £120, not toooooo bad.
    The first attempt didn't go to well if i'm honest; couldn't undo the top mount so i invested in a cordless impact wrench, worked a treat.
    Got the little bastard off fairly easily:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Springs2

Spot the difference:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Springs1

It wasn't trouble free though. firstly it was summer:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Springs5

So we had to get all ghetto:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Springs3
    It's the only way to do it.

One major problem though was sockets getting stuck on bolts. (it happened more than once)
    This was probably the worst though; had to get a blow torch on it and use a wet towel to protect the CV joint:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. Springs4

Managed to get it off though so aint no thang.
    It sits a lot lower now, drives a little nicer too. will be better once i've got all the tracking etc done.
    Must say a BIG thank you to Jonnie for helping me out especially as it was in such nasty conditions, you're a darling. rendeer
    I'll get some pics of how it sits now up soon, you'll be able to see that the front number plates been straightened too. whey!

rbrocky
    rbrocky

Post  rbrocky Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 pm

i like! havent seen this too much in the bare metal dude but knowing you, you'll go the right way!

and you know i would have helped you Sad haha

but now your a master mechanic (becaused you lowered your car) you can help me fit my coilies (or just come and watch Smile )

much love
    rbrocky
    rbrocky

Post  rbrocky Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

ps - loving the over arches Very Happy
    Cookie
    Cookie

Post  Cookie Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:03 pm

i'm sure you'll be seeing plenty of it soon mate don't you worry :p
    i'll look forward to getting your car sitting a little nicer as well mate or of course watching this happen
    and yeah thought i might as well go down the gti route but inside feel lke a pussy hole with my 1.6
    Cookie
    Cookie

Post  Cookie Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:47 pm

How it sits now:
    Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. 02072011349
    Decent enough i suppose, still fairly practical at this height which is nice
    Cookie
    Cookie

Post  Cookie Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 pm

ooh look whats turned up.
    Das Original zum Einbauen. Obviously.

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. BilsteinB4
    Cookie
    Cookie

Post  Cookie Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Got the shocks fitted, big thanks to Ryan, then put the cars into the garage to have some bushes asnd wheel alignment done. pretty big bill but drives an awful lot better now.
    Was going to work on the rust but then came across an interior on ebay so i went for it. paid £200 and makes the car a much nicer place to be:

Mk3 Golf 1.6 GL; because life isn't going as well as I hoped. 31072011380

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 pm